It paid off to trust my intuition yesterday when I gave a presentation to a group of women business owners. The topic of the presentation was “Staying on Track with Your Goals for the Year”. It was the end of the first quarter, an important marker for businesses to evaluate how they are doing in achieving the goals for the year. This is something you want to know early though many businesses neglect to take advantage of opportunity and regret it later. When you take the time now to assess where you are you can make adjustments, get unstuck and move forward to meet your goals.
Goals Not Being Met
As an intuitive business consultant I know that progress in achieving our goals is not always logical. Some things move along nicely, one step leads to another. Other goals languish on our strategic plan, list of targets or goals we have established. I would guess that some of these have been on our list year after year. From my perspective, if there were a logical solution to unmet goals they would have been accomplished by now. Sometimes what gets in the way of our goals can be determined more from an intuitive perspective than analyzing the problem. This is where I started with this group of business owners and this is the approach I use with all of my clients. Use your intuition. Stop thinking and see clearly.
Vision of Success
I had them begin by revisiting their vision of success. The most successful people in any field are those who have the strongest vision. I find that we are good at setting goals but goals absent a vision are just a lot of hard work. So I had them write their vision of success. Some knew it and felt good writing it down. Others had never looked at their business in this way. They had a business plan and a business model that guided their decisions but not a vision.
Now Determine if the Goals Fit the Vision
Once you have a clear vision of success then everything else falls into place. This is not logical but it is very intuitive. With a clear vision, look at your goals to see if they now fit to carry out your vision. If not then change them now before you get to far into the year.
A vision is different from a thought or a plan. Vision is something you see in your mind’s eye. You know and see what success is for you. It is an intuitive ability to know for certain. The best way I know to do this is in meditation. Meditation is simply quieting the body and clearing the mind so that you can open to more awareness and to see more clearly.
Exercise: Try this for yourself.
- Sit in a comfortable and quiet place.
- Begin to quiet the body. Take a deep breath and release all the tension and energy you are holding in your body. Relax.
- Now clear your mind. Stop thinking and instead just be aware of yourself.
- Be present in the moment. Imagine calling your energy and attention back from where ever it is outside you. Have all your attention right here in this moment. Notice yourself and your immediate surroundings.
- With your eyes closed imagine a red rose. This keeps you from thinking and opens your intuition using your mind’s eye.
- Meditate on this rose as you ask what is your vision of success. Don’t think just imagine what success is to you. Get to know this for yourself. Imagine what it looks like, feels like, etc. It may not be what you think it is for you. Take a deep breath and let go of others ideas of success, “you should”, ego, etc.
It often takes several meditations to get clear enough so say that is it. That’s my vision of success. It feels right.
My surprise was how eager the business owners embraced this exercise and the insight each person got from their meditation. I expected them to roll their eyes and want something logical, linear and practical. That approach works too but when it doesn’t access the other side of your brain. Be intuitive.
Meditation is essential. We all need time to stop clear our space and our thinking so that we regain our perspective otherwise we make the wrong decision, don’t see clearly and get off track of where we want to be. Meditate.
Next Step: Get your staff to buy into your vision. Watch for this on another blog.
Best wishes on your success,